Str. “Mandalay” at Dock Crescent City. (Between 1904 and 1918) What a delightful end to our journey - “where the redwoods meet the sea.” We spent a little time visiting the Battery Point Lighthouse before we headed back home.

We hoped you enjoyed our 30 day trip around California.  Please come back and join us for our next adventure!

From the California State Library’s E.F. Mueller Postcard Collection
Bridgeville in 1925 showing hotel and general store of Henry Cox and Son. (1925). We learned a little history about the Cox family. Henry Cox purchased Bridgeville in 1909. Along with the grocery store, Mr. Cox also owned a blacksmith shop, the Bridgeville Hotel, the livery stable, and a number of residences. Amazingly, Bridgeville remained in the family until 1973.

From the California State Library’s E.F. Mueller Postcard Collection
Business section, Hopland. (19—) 
What a delightful spot to spend some time!  We enjoyed some delicious Velvet ice cream before we set off on a hike in the nearby Montgomery Woods State Natural Reserve.

From the California State Library’s E.F. Mueller Postcard Collection
Market St. Redding, looking South. (1939)

During the summer of 1938, work began on the Shasta Dam, which brought thousands of unemployed from across the country to look for work.  Over 4,000 new residents arrived in Redding between 1938 and 1941!

From the California State Library’s E.F. Mueller Postcard Collection
Main Street, Fort Bidwell (Between 1904 and 1918)  We stopped in at the Fort Bidwell General Store.  The store was built in 1874 and remains one of the longest continuously operating stores in the state of California. Pretty amazing!

From the California State Library’s E.F. Mueller Postcard Collection
One of the Hot Springs of Amedee, “The Karlsbad of America” 214 degrees F. (191-)

In its heyday, Amedee’s hot springs were well known for their curative powers.  At one point, a reward was offered to anyone whose rheumatism couldn’t be cured by the springs.

From the California State Library’s E.F. Mueller Postcard Collection
Relic of 49 Timbuctoo. (Between 1904 and 1918).  In its prime, the Stewart Brothers general store housed a Wells Fargo Express Office,a saloon, a post office, and a gold dust exchange.

From the California State Library’s E.F. Mueller Postcard Collection
Miner panning for gold. (1908)  We spent our whole day panning for gold in Nevada County, but without any luck.

From the California State Library’s E.F. Mueller Postcard Collection
Tahoe Tavern, Lake Tahoe (1922?)

The original Tavern was built in 1901. This elegant mountain resort, which included such amenities as a casino with a bowling alley and a ballroom, became a popular travel destination for San Francisco residents.

From the California State Library’s E.F. Mueller Postcard Collection
Argonaut Mine, Jackson (1921)

The Argonaut Mine, originally known as the Pioneer Mine, was discovered in 1850 by James Hager and William Tudor.  The mine, which ceased operation in 1942, produced more than $25 million in gold.

From the California State Library’s E.F. Mueller Postcard Collection